Recipe and Photos by Corynn Fowler
This salad is best made with Swiss chard and cherry tomatoes–fresh from the garden. The chewy leaves and creamy, smoky dressing create a satisfying salad that can be enjoyed on its own or as a side paired with corn and grilled chicken.
Serves 4 as a main and 6-8 as a side.
what you need…
– 10-12 Large Swiss Chard Leaves
– 1⁄2 Medium Red Onion
– 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes – 1 Can of Black Beans
– 1/3 Cup + 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil – 3 Tbsp. Sour Cream
– 1 1⁄2 Tsp. Smoked Paprika
– 1 Lime Juiced
– 1 Tsp. Salt
What you do…
1. Wash the Swiss chard and remove the thick park of the stem, slicing about half way up into the leaf. Chop the leaves into long thin ribbons. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and thinly slice the red onion into strips. Toss with the Swiss chard.
2. Lightly fry the black beans in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, tossing gently until the outer skins are slightly crispy. Try not to stir as this will squash the soft beans and keep them from getting crispy. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Allow the beans to cool.
3. To make the dressing, combine the remaining olive oil, sour cream, lime juice, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir well or mix with an emersion blender until emulsified.
4. Lightly toss the salad with the dressing, adding more Swiss chard leaves to accommodate the whole dressing if necessary.
Corynn Fowler writes a food blog called Nourished by Corynn. Please visit her at nourishedbycorynn.com