RECIPE . TREVOR MATHERS BLACK ANGUS FINE MEATS AND GAME PHOTO . CLAY DOLAN
Tomahawk steak is a cut of beef ribeye that has five or more inches of extra rib bone which resembles a single-handed axe. Perfect on the Q — it is also referred to as the “Cowboy Steak” or a “Bone-in Ribeye”.
what you need…
1 dry age tomahawk (seasoned) 6 medium sized potatoes
2 cups diced red onion
2 cups sliced morel mushrooms
– 1⁄2 cup ground coffee – 1⁄2 cup brown sugar – 1⁄2 cup Kosher salt
What you do…
1. Remove the tomahawk from the fridge at least one hour before BBQing. 2. Mix the steak seasoning. Liberally season the steak and let sit.
3. Preheat BBQ to 400°
4. Coat potatoes with olive oil and season with salt & pepper to taste. Wrap in foil and BBQ for 35 to 40 minutes on direct heat.
5. Wrap the sliced morels and onions in foil with 3 tbsp olive oil.
6. Place the morels on the BBQ 5 minutes before the potatoes are finished. 7. Give the steak a hot 3 minute seer on both sides. Place on indirect heat until internal temperature is 135° and remove from heat. Cover with a tea towel and let rest 10 minutes. Temperature will rise to a beautiful 140° for a perfect medium rare.|E|