RECIPE & PHOTOS . CORYNN FOWLER
THIS DECADENT SUMMER CAKE IS BEST ENJOYED IN CUPCAKE FORM, SERVED INDIVIDUALLY WITH A DOLLOP OF CREAM AND A PILE OF FRESH JUICY SUMMER BERRIES. FOR A SWEETER FINISH, TRY MACERATING YOUR BERRIES IN A FEW TEASPOONS OF GRANULATED SUGAR FOR AN HOUR BEFORE SERVING
what you need…
– 1 Cup rye flour
– 1 Cup spelt flour
– 6 Tbsp cacao powder
– 1 Tsp baking soda
– 2 Tsp baking powder
– 1 Cup dark chocolate chips – 3 Eggs
– 1 Cup coconut milk
– 2/3 Cup maple syrup
– 2/3 Cup olive oil
– 1 Cup whipping cream
– 1 Cup fresh summer berries – A pinch of flaked sea salt
what you do…
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Mix the rye flour, spelt flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs for about a minute. Slowly add the coconut milk, maple syrup,and olive oil, mixing the eggs the whole time.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, making sure there are no chunks of cacao powder left in thebatter. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into twelve cupcake tins lined with paper and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Garnish with flaked sea salt as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Beat the whipping cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Serve the cupcakes at room temperature, topped with whipped cream and an assortment of the freshest summer berries.
Corynn Fowler writes a food blog called Nourished by Corynn. Please visit her at nourishedbycorynn.com