RECIPES & PHOTOS . CORYNN FOWLER
This simple cake recipe is quick and easy to make. It adds a fun spin to a simple tea cake by blending an entire orange into the batter. The rich orange flavour is all natural, the colour is beautiful, the crumb is light and fluffy, and it’s the perfect not-so-sweet slice to enjoy with a warm winter mug of tea.
– 1 Whole organic navel orange
– 1 Cup white sugar
– 1 ¾ Cups all purpose flour
– 2 Tsp. baking powder
– 3 Eggs – 1/3 Cup unsalted butter
– 1/3 Cup Greek yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Combine the sugar and eggs, beat until well mixed and beginning to become light and fluffy.
3. Slowly sift the flour, and baking powder into the egg mix. Add cubes of softened butter and mix until well combined.
4. Wash and slice the whole orange, removing the seeds and pith, but leaving the rind. Place the orange slices in a food processor and blend until it turns into a thick puree.
5. Fold the yogurt and orange puree into the batter.
6. Grease an 8” spring form pan with butter and pour in the batter.
7. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.|E|